Getting married in Helsingør Municipality

In Helsingør Municipality, we marry foreign couples who are resident outside Denmark.

The wedding is by prior arrangement through submitting a completed and signed marriage declaration as well as the relevant documentation to:

Couples not living in Denmark have to pay a standard fee of DKK 870. If the ceremony takes place outside the court office, an additional fee will be charged (please contact Borgerservice for further information about the price). Processing takes up to four weeks.

Once the documents have been checked and approved, you will be contacted so that we can arrange a date for the wedding. You have to go in person to Borgerservice, Birkedalsvej 27, 3000 Helsingør at least the day before the wedding to verify the original documents along with your passports. Please note, that "Borgerservice" is located approximately 3 km outside the centre of Helsingør.

There are a wide choice of overnight accommodation in Helsingør to suit all budgets. 

Find these at

The marriage itself will take place at Helsingør town hall (Rådhus) at Stengade 59, 3000 Helsingør.

There must always be two witnesses at the marriage. Helsingør Municipality can provide witnesses on weekdays and one witness on Saturdays. If you bring your own witnesses, we will need their names and addresses.

Documents for case processing

Foreign couples wanting to get married in Helsingør Municipality have to present the following:

  • Passports.
  • Certificate of residency certifying current address in country of residence.
  • Certificate of marital status from your country of residence that documents that you are unmarried. This certificate should be no more than four months old.
  • If you have been divorced abroad, we will need to see the divorce decree with a court warranty that the decree is absolute.
  • If you are a widow(er) we will need to see a death certificate.
  • Valid residency permit for another Schengen country or
  • Valid visa as well as stamp of arrival - see list of countries requiring a visa

Note that foreign documents have to be translated by an authorised translator into either Danish or English. Some foreign documents have to be legalised or stamped by an apostil. 

Documents from the following countries do not need to be legalised:

  • Europe (the following countries are not considered Europe with regard to legalisation: Albania, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Kirgizstan, Kosovo, Croatia, Russia, Tajikistan, Ukraine and Uzbekistan)
  • USA
  • Canada
  • Australia
  • New Zealand
  • Turkey

You may also have to have your Danish marriage certificate legalised before the authorities in your country of residence will register your marriage.

You can read more about legalisation of Danish documents on the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Denmark website